Street Worker Outreach Project WA (SWOPWA)
SWOPWA services focuses on street based sex workers mainly in the Northbridge and Highgate areas.
Educators are out on the streets Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and every Friday and Saturday evening. Workers can also drop into the office between 9am and 4pm Tuesday to Friday and have a chat with an Educator.
Harm Reduction Information and Supplies
SWOPWA Educators can provide you with information on safer sex and safer injecting and offer free harm reduction supplies of safer sex equipment and safe injecting equipment.
You’re welcome to drop into Magenta anytime during opening hours. Friendly staff are available to answer your queries and give you stock. If you need to speak to someone about a number of issues, you can make an appointment with an SWOPWA Educator. Alternatively you can phone us and we’ll do our best to help you out.
Sexual Health Clinic
The clinic runs every Wednesday from 10 am to 1pm at Magenta and offers STI (sexually transmissible infection) screening, anonymous HIV testing and answers to general health questions. Call 9328 1387 to make an appointment for this confidential service. SWOPWA educators can also arrange for you visit another sexual health service on other days when the Magenta clinic is not operating. A Magenta Educator is available on Wednesdays to talk one-to-one with clinic clients on any aspects of their working life.
Ugly Mugs List
SWOPWA collects reports from street based sex workers who have experienced violence or mistreatment from a client. If you have come across an Ugly Mug contact an Educator to talk about it. The report is updated regularly and is available from the SWOPWA Educators.
SWOPWA services include:
- Clinical services
- Showering facilities available for SWOPWA clients, Tues-Fri, 9am-4pm
- Crisis assistance
- Referral to other agencies when requested, such as detox services, rehabilitation, legal aid and crisis care
- Ugly Mug reports and distribution of Ugly Mugs list
- Free harm reduction supplies of safe sex equipment and safe injecting equipment
- Support and assistance negotiating with other community agencies such as the Police, Ministry of Justice, and Centrelink etc.
- Support and information for exiting the industry
If you have an issue which isn’t listed we may still be able to find you the right referral - just ask us.